Answered By: Bella Ratmelia Last Updated: Aug 04, 2021 Views: 4
Most social media have API that you can use to retrieve their data. Depending on the platform, you may need to apply for API Key or a developer account before you can use their API. Examples:
- Twitter API - you will need a developer account and request for access.
- Reddit API - you will need a Reddit account and request for OAUTH Client ID.
If the platform does not provide an API (public or otherwise), you may want to consider web scraping. However, be sure to check that it is not against the website' terms and conditions to do so. Ensure that you also observe the following etiquette of web scraping:
- Only save the data that you absolutely need
- Request data at a reasonable rate
- Include user agent string in your API calls that provides way to contact you
- Respect the data provenance, do not claim them as yours
(source: Ethics in Web Scraping)